Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Sandra Templeton, I love you and I will marry you!

I went out to eat yesterday with some of the guys I work with. [side-note: We ate at Wings Express, this little dumpy place on Lindsay & Broadway - pretty good wings. Honey hot is the best flavor. I love that flavor, a little zing with some good old honey taste...I'm drooling thinking about it now] While we were eating, the tv on the wall was on the USA channel [which for whatever reason reminds me of my grandparents house] and the channel was playing the movie Big Fish. I think this might be one of the greatest films ever made [I like Tim Burton films]. The story telling is incredible and really carries the story. There is a line in the movie said by Billy Crudup, in which he states, "A man tells his stories so many times that he becomes the stories. They live on after him, and in that way he becomes immortal." It is such a cool line. It gets me thinking about how for so long the only way the past could live on was through story telling. Most of history exists only in the form of story, most of it oral. The most fascinating part about it is that even when the stories seem far-fetched and overblown, they are still great to listen to and still valuable. I love reliving the past by hearing stories about my grandparents told to me through the lens of my parents. In many ways, my grandparents are "immortal" in the sense that the stories live on and in some cases get better with age. My hope is that I will be able to tell stories as good as my grandparents did and my parents do now. Life is just better when told through a story.

2 comments:

sLOw-cal said...

The grass so green,
Skies so blue,
Spectre is really great

Landon said...

Gotta love Steve Buscemi.