Monday, January 28, 2008

Broken coffee pot

So my wife broke the coffee pot the other day. She was leaning over the counter and just knocked it straight off. Needless to say this saddened me greatly because of my hopeless addiction to caffeine. So we had to order a new pot for the coffee maker leaving me stranded until it gets here. So being a junior high pastor, the only solution I could think of was increasing my Monster consumption. Now I have been told by many adults that this stuff is terrible for me, but at this point my options are Monsters or caffeine-induced headaches. Now I suppose I could buy gas station coffee for a few weeks...but I already had convinced my wife to buy the HUGE pack of Monsters @ Costco. She more than makes up for her clumsiness with her spoiling of me. Anyway...as I looked at the can of Monster this morning I started wondering what some of the ingredients really were. Taurine, Panax Ginseng root extract, L-Carnitine, Glucuronolactone, Inositol, Guarana seed extract, Pyridoxine, Maltodextrin, and Cyanocobalamin. What the heck am I actually drinking? Interesting enough most of the stuff had to to with sugar processing and vitamin-b processing. Now I admit I looked up all of the stuff on wikipedia which is not nearly accurate all of the time...but its what I did. My favorite ingredients would have to be the guarana seed extract and the taurine. The guarana seed has approximately 3 times as much caffeine as the coffee bean. Good thing every junior high kid I know drinks a can of Monster a day...The taurine makes me smile because it was first isolated from ox bile which is how it got its name. Ox bile. My dad is a doctor having taking out many a gallbladder which stores bile so somehow the connection made me smile.

Well the next time you tear open the "meanest energy supplement on the planet" at least you know what you are drinking.

1 comments:

m15cabra said...

ew, landon. i'm always telling logan not to drink that stuff. it just seems so wrong. love you!