Monday, July 14, 2008

A New Maverick in Town

Theodore Roosevelt once said, "The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life." I find him to be one of the most fascinating leaders the USA has ever had. Though I struggle with some of the decisions he made (ie stealing Panama from the Colombians and then lying about it to the American Public), he was a man of action that did a great deal of good. I enjoy his views on progressive conservatism and the great legend of being shot in the chest but still delivering a speech he was to give. He was a rough rider his entire life, never afraid to make decisions even if they weren't the most popular. In the end, Teddy Roosevelt was a leader. I find it interesting in light of that, that John McCain has pushed himself as a TR Man. Who knows if that will end up being true (he would have to be elected first) but I think it is a good mold to pick by Senator McCain. McCain is a hard guy to get a solid grip on. He has never fit the Bush-Republican mold (on some issues yes, on other issues no). He is his own persona - a rebel "maverick" as some have called him. I like that some conservatives are uncomfortable with him. I like that liberals are uncomfortable with him too. Obviously like all politicians he is slippery with the unavoidable need to cling to certain special interest groups - but he is definitely worth keeping a close eye on!

All I know is that the closer that this election gets towards November the less certain I am on who is going to get my vote.

2 comments:

Mr. Anderson said...

That was a great quote from Teddy. Have you ever read any of his biographies? I am not a big reader, as you know, but I would be interested in reading more about him. Let me know if you have read any good biographies about him.

sLOw-cal said...

not that it's that big of a deal, but my wife would have you by your hairy's if she saw you refer to her ancestors as columbians instead of colombians...

think we'll ever have a true leader again in the white house?